Scroll down to see "What's Cooking?".

Monday, May 3, 2010

"I AM WHO I AM."

"That's irreverent," I told my friend when he proudly showed me his son's website. Most personal websites would use such caption as "About Myself" for their personal profiles. My friend's son used the caption "I Am" for his web profile. "I Am"? Didn't he know that this was the name that God called Himself in the Bible? Yes, he did know (being a Roman Catholic).

So is using the title "I Am" for oneself an issue?

In biblical terms, "I AM" speaks of the Deity. To knowingly use the title "I AM" for oneself is to seek to raise oneself to God's level, to be like God. This manifestation of pride is the cause of the downfall of both angels and Man in times past.

"13 You said in your heart, "I will ascend to heaven; I will raise my throne above the stars of God; I will sit enthroned on the mount of assembly, on the utmost heights of the sacred mountain. 14 I will ascend above the tops of the clouds; I will make myself like the Most High." 15 But you are brought down to the grave, to the depths of the pit. " (Isa 14:13-15)

In the Old Testament, God clearly said to Moses at the burning bush that His name was "I AM".

"13 Moses said to God, "Suppose I go to the Israelites and say to them, 'The God of your fathers has sent me to you,' and they ask me, 'What is his name?' Then what shall I tell them?" 14 God said to Moses, "I AM WHO I AM. This is what you are to say to the Israelites: 'I AM has sent me to you.' " 15 God also said to Moses, "Say to the Israelites, 'The Lord, the God of your fathers--the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac and the God of Jacob--has sent me to you.' This is my name forever, the name by which I am to be remembered from generation to generation. " (Ex 3:13-15)

And when God gave the ten commandments to Moses at the "burning" mountain (Mount Sinai), the third commandment was:

"You shall not misuse the name of the LORD your God, for the LORD will not hold anyone guiltless who misuses his name. " (Ex 20:7)

That "I AM" is God's name is also evident in the New Testament. Jesus calls himself "I AM" seven times in the Gospel according to the Apostle John:

I am the Bread of life (John 6:35, 41, 48, 51).
I am the Light of the world (John 8:12, 9:5).
I am the Good Shepherd (John 10:11, 14).
I am the Door (John 10:7, 9).
I am the Resurrection and the Life (John 11:25).
I am the true Vine (John 15:1, 5).
I am the Way and the Truth and the Life (John 14:6).

Jesus has given us His assurance that He is with us - to feed and fill us with His truth, to protect and give us life, to shine and lead the way - not only today but in the resurrected life to come.

Emmanuel - God with us!

2 comments:

Kate Lai said...

Yes I dislike young people who use His name in vain. Irreverent is right!! But to change tack - what you call Him is one thing, how your represent Him as His follower is surely the most important - action speaks louder than words!!

xueqing said...

Agreed absolutely!