Scroll down to see "What's Cooking?".

Monday, August 1, 2011

Freedom in Christ

Two friends from Wuhan, China came to stay with me for a few days after attending the Eagles Leaders' Conference. Having undertaken to 尽地主之宜, I was planning a tour to Little India including the famous Hindu temple at Race Course Road - something interesting that they didn't have back home in China, I thought. But gosh, they didn't want to visit temples; they were taught that, as Christians, they should not step into temples. So, ok, no visit to temples for them.

At one time when I was still a young Christian, I did feel uncomfortable bringing my late mom to the Chinese temple for her to make offerings to my late father (who predeceased her). When I related my apprehension to my former boss, a very mature Christian, she shared her view that by bringing my mom to the temple, I was honouring my parents. The Bible teaches Christians to honour our parents. This is recorded in the Old Testament as one of the Ten Commandments that God gives to His people through Moses (Exodus 20:12).

Today, I've no qualms about visiting temples, whether Chinese or Indian, or other non-Christian places of worship. I told my Wuhan friends that during my trip to Shanghai last year, I visited the Longhua Temple, the Jade Buddha Temple and the City Temple which I viewed as merely places of tourist/cultural interest. To me, what is important is our heart and not what we do, or eat, or drink.

In the New Testament, we have freedom in Christ. The Apostle Paul says, "It is for freedom that Christ has set us free." (Galatians 5:1) So does it mean that we are free to do anything we want? No, Paul further elaborates that we should not use our freedom in Christ to indulge the sinful nature, but rather, serve one another in love (Gal 5:13).

The Apostle Paul cites some examples of different practices in Christian living - some eat everything while others eat only vegetables, some consider one day more sacred than another while others regard every day alike (Romans 14). In his view, he who regards one day as special, does so to the Lord; he who eats meat, eats to the Lord for he gives thanks to the Lord; and he who abstains from meat also does so to the Lord and gives thanks to the Lord. And so, we should not pass judgement on another person who does differently from us.

We should also be careful that our freedom in how we live should not cause other Christians to stumble and fall. If our brother- or sister-in-Christ is distressed by what we do or eat, then we are no longer acting in love. We should then desist from doing what distresses our fellow Christians.

"For the kingdom of God is not a matter of eating and drinking, but of righteousness, peace and joy in the Holy Spirit, because anyone who serves Christ in this way is pleasing to God and approved by men." (Romans 14:17-18)

In the presence of fellow Christians who think differently, I will then not visit temples, eat food offered to idols or practise Taijiquan. But apart from them, I have the freedom to visit temples, eat food offered to idols and continue to practise Taijiquan, for I am convinced that all food is clean and there is nothing wrong with visiting temples and practising Taijiquan.

No comments: