Scroll down to see "What's Cooking?".

Thursday, January 31, 2013

Wait for me in Heaven


"Wait for me in Heaven” – these are the words spoken at the funeral wake by the mother of Nigel and Donavan who were killed by a cement-mixer truck (Straits Times report, 30 Jan 2013).  As a Christian, the boys’ mother believes that they are in heaven right now (Straits Times report, 31 Jan 2013).  The ST photo shows clearly part of a Bible verse:  “He who believes in me will live even when he dies.”     

The complete Bible verses in John 11:25-26 read:
“Jesus said to her, “I am the resurrection and the life.  He who believes in me will live, even though he dies; and whoever lives and believes in me will never die. ” ”

I empathise with the boys’ parents.  Not just sympathy for the heart-rending loss of two young lives.  I believe, too, that all who believe in Christ go in heaven at the end of our earthly life and, there in heaven, we meet our departed loved ones who are believers. 
When my 76-year-old mother was on her deathbed in 2005, I saw her shed tears for the first time in my life.  “Why?”, I asked her then.  “Because I am leaving all of you,” she replied.   “Jesus had already prepared a house for all of us in heaven.  You go to heaven first, keep the house tidy and wait for us”, I tried my best to comfort my mother.  She had just accepted Christ, a believer in her old age. 

“Dot let your hearts be troubled.  Trust in God; trust also in me.  In my Father’s house are many rooms; if it were not so, I would have told you.  I am going there to prepare a place for you.  And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come back and take you to be with me that you also may be where I am.”  (John 14:1-3)
A few days later, my mother told me she had a dream.  She dreamt that her funeral was at two places and there were two persons in white with her.  “The two persons in white are angels bringing you to Heaven”, I explained to my mother.         

I have hope – hope that my mother is now with Jesus Christ, waiting for me in Heaven.  Whenever I grieve for the loss of my mother, I cherish this hope – that I will see her again.  Death is not the end of all things; as believers in Christ, we have the hope and the expectation of life with Christ in Heaven.  This hope is not wishful thinking; it is a certainty because we have faith in Christ, we trust and believe in what Christ says and promises.
“Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see.”  (Hebrews 11:1)

Heaven is where Jesus is.  Heaven is where our loves ones who believe in Jesus Christ go to when they die.  Heaven is where I want to go when I die.  Heaven is where I will meet my mother again.
I am looking forward to Heaven.  Are you?

No comments: