Scroll down to see "What's Cooking?".

Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Life Beyond Death

My uncle broke a piece of shocking news to me yesterday - my cousin had collapsed and died suddenly. My immediate concern was his family - how would they manage without him around? The next thought that struck me was life beyond death - would my deceased cousin be in heaven? I do not know my cousin's religious affiliation and so I do not know where my cousin was headed after leaving this earthly life.

In a conversation with my sister's friend some years ago, she had shared her Buddhist belief that she would go to the Western Paradise if she were to pass on from this life. In this Western Paradise, she would see all the various "Buddhas", including the founder of Buddhism himself and the Goddess of Mercy. The basis for her to enter the Western Paradise, which was her definition of "heaven", was her chanting - she had been petitioning during her chanting for the way to be paved for her to enter the Western Paradise.

The belief of my sister's friend is in marked contrast with the belief that my sister professed just a few months ago. When "shi mu" (our pastor's wife) asked my sister: "Do you have the confidence to enter heaven?", my sister's response was "Not sure." About half an hour later during bible study that same morning, after my sister affirmed her belief in Jesus Christ, shi mu asked her the same question: "Do you have the confidence to enter heaven?" This time round, my sister's response was different - having declared her faith in Jesus, she was confident that she would be able to enter heaven. And so, the basis for my sister to enter heaven? Faith in Jesus Christ.

In Christianity, Jesus provides the way to heaven and eternal life. Jesus was sent by God the Father to die on the cross, to redeem man from sin and to give eternal life to those who believe in him. I remember comforting and assuring my mom at her deathbed, that Jesus has prepared a "big house" for her in heaven, that she would be going ahead to keep the house while waiting for us, her children and grandchildren, to join her in heaven.

"1 Do not let your hearts be troubled. Trust in God; trust also in me.
2 In my Father's house are many rooms; if it were not so, I would have told you. I am going there to prepare a place for you.
3 And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come back and take you to be with me that you also may be where I am.....
6 Jesus answered, "I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me... "
(John 14 : 1 - 3, 6 )


And heaven is bliss because that's where Jesus is, and so, heaven is better than life.

"Whom have I in heaven but you? And earth has nothing I desire besides you."
(Psalm 73 : 25)

No comments: