Scroll down to see "What's Cooking?".

Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Light of the World

My sis gave me a lunch treat at Sushi Tei. Tried the "beef paper pot". Rather intrigued by the paper pot used to hold and cook the miso soup, beef slices, mushrooms and veggie. This paper pot sat in a metal, perforated funnel-shaped container and was heated by a small fire below. Somehow the paper pot wasn't burnt throughout the 10-15 minute cooking. I wondered if the paper had some special wax or coating so it wasn't consumed by the fire. Or, perhaps the fire was too small and placed too far below to have any direct contact with the paper pot.

The paper pot brought to my mind the "burning bush" in Moses' time.

"1 Now Moses was tending the flock of Jethro his father-in-law, the priest of Midian, and he led the flock to the far side of the desert and came to Horeb, the mountain of God.
2 There the angel of the Lord appeared to him in flames of fire from within a bush. Moses saw that though the bush was on fire it did not burn up."

(Exodus 3 : 1 - 2)


At the burning bush, Moses was charged by God with the task of leading the Israelites out of bondage in Egypt. The story of the 10 plagues, the Passover and God's final deliverance is well-known. Leaving Egypt, the Lord continued to provide His protection and guidance, leading His people with a cloud by day and a pillar of fire by night through the wilderness.

Today, as the wheel of time turns, we are still in the wilderness - of financial turmoil and investment losses, job losses and pay cuts, stock market plunges and interest rate cuts, ....... Someone wrote that whereas just a while ago, there was "maximum greed" (which drove up the global markets), now we have "maximum fear" (which drives uncertainty and insecurity into our limited, earthly lives).

But, fear not - we have the comfort of God as our "light and salvation". As the light shines and directs our path, so shall we find our way in the uncertainties ahead. And as the divine presence of that loving light warms and lifts up our hearts, so shall we rejoice in his deliverance come what may.

"1 The Lord is my light and salvation - whom shall I fear?
The Lord is the stronghold of my life - of whom shall I be afraid?
2 When evil men advance against me to devour my flesh,
when my enemies and my foes attack me, they will stumble and fall.
3 Though an army besiege me, my heart will not fear;
though war break out against me, even then will I be confident.
4 One thing I ask of the Lord, this is what I seek:
that I may dwell in the house of the Lord all the days of my life."
(Ps 27 : 1 - 4)


As Christmas approaches and we remember the birth of the Lord Jesus Christ, we take comfort too that God is with us. The prophecy of Isaiah has been fulfilled with the birth of Jesus:

" Therefore the Lord himself will give you a sign:
The virgin will be with child and will give birth to a son and will call him Immanuel." (Is 7 : 14
)

(Note: Immanuel means God with us.)

The Lord Jesus himself has affirmed His presence with us at all times, whether good or bad :

"And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age."
(Matt 28 : 20b)


"15 If you love me, you will obey what I command.
16 And I will ask the Father, and he will give you another Counselor to be with you forever - the Spirit of truth."
(John 14 : 15 - 16)


"5 For John baptised with water, but in a few days you will be baptised with the Holy Spirit .....
8 But you will receive power when the Holy Spirit comes on you; and you will be my witnesses in Jerusalem, and in all Judea and Samaria, and to the ends of the earth."
(Acts 1 : 5, 8)


And so, for friends and loved ones, my heart's desire and wish this Christmas is for them to receive the light and salvation that is in Christ alone.

"And everyone who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved."
(Acts 2 : 21)


"Salvation is found in no one else, for there is no other name under heaven given men by which we must be saved."
(Acts 4 : 12)


Love, peace and joy - now and always.

No comments: